PurposeSobering Services & Addiction Recovery Programs
We provide a safe environment that serves an immediate need for individuals under the influence.
As an alternative to jail, and in the future emergency room admissions, our sobering center is an appropriate destination to screen for and manage substance use disorders that present a public safety and health hazard. This service:
1. Relieves law enforcement and criminal justice system resources
- Diverting publicly intoxicated individuals increases the holding capacity in the city jail for more serious crimes.
- It takes two hours to book an individual in jail and an average of eight minutes to drop them off at the sobering center. This saves law enforcement officers valuable time enabling them to return to their assigned neighborhoods faster.
- The courts are relieved of processing this low level, non-violent offense.
2. Creates safety for the individual
- Clients avoid an arrest record and are spared the impact that a public intoxication misdemeanor charge would have on their life.
- They are monitored in a safe, clean environment with staff providing necessary support services to manage their intoxication until they are no longer a danger to themselves or others.
- We offer information on recovery for clients who present with substance use disorders, and we provide opportunities for recovery by linking clients with appropriate community resources and programs.