Houston is home to one of only two sobering centers in Texas!
Launched April 10, 2013 and operates 24/7
The Sobering Center is our on-site facility with capacity to serve 68 men and 16 women, with a total capacity of 84. It serves as an innovative solution to the costly problem of public intoxication.
The goal of the Sobering Center is to:
- Provide safe, short term monitoring and management of persons under the influence of alcohol and drugs as an alternative to jail
- Offer client information on and referrals to services in the community
- Invite every client to fill out a discharge recommendation plan addressing their substance use
**From 2012 to 2015, the number of arrests for public intoxication decreased from 15,357 to 1,544 – a 90% reduction!**
How it works:
- 93% of our clients are brought in by multiple law enforcement agencies. The other 7% are referrals from jail, emergency departments, and the community.
- We do accept walk in clients and clients from the hospital.
- The Sobering Center only takes in clients who voluntarily accept to be there.
- We have developed a strategic intake process that screens for clients needing more intensive medical, mental health care, or violent behavior.
- Average length of stay for clients is 4-6 hours.
- Most of the clients we intake are intoxicated from alcohol, but we do accept clients who are intoxicated from any drug, except bath salts.